Saturday, June 23, 2012

Swami Vivekananda School Visit


I had visited Swami Vivekananda School(alias Aadivasi high school) on 23rd June 2012. I went to the school as a representative of a company which has adopted the school for the welfare of the children. My main purpose of visit is to hand over the weekly donation for the food supplies and to spend some time with the children.
About School : It is a small school in Valvanda(Thane district) which comprises of three blocks. First block comprises of principal's office, staff room, kitchen room for preparing lunch to the children. Second block contains class rooms(only 3 classes are being taught - 8th, 9th and 10th.) Third Block is the hostel rooms for the boys. Another block is under construction phase(which serves as common function all as well as girls hostel). School has a decent strength in each class(above 60 students per class).
Journey : I reached Thane ST depot around 6:30 am. To reach the School(Valvanda) I need to take a bus that goes to Jawhar(as there is no direct bus to Valvanda). The bus came at 7:08 am. I managed to get the seat and bus started by 7:12 am. As we are going to remote area the road is full of ups and downs. Also there are many long U curves on the way. As the ST buses are famous for their speed on such damaged, semi built roads, I was literally jumping in the bus in all four directions. It was a good exercise and experience travelling in those conditions. Two important junctions on the way or Wada and Vikramgad. Wada is again a big junction which has good connectivity to many other small villages. We see many buses frequently moving in and out here. Vikramgad is another important area because from here onwards there will not be any mobile signal(except for TATA - weak signal).
          I reached Valvanda by 9:30 am reached 30 mins earlier than expected. I went to the school and received a warm welcome from the Principal. It started raining heavily after I reached the school. I was lucky. Went to the office room, enquired about the school progress, future plans as the school started one week back from today. Then went to the class rooms, thought of my childhood days on seeing the children. Went to 9th class room and took the Mathematics book to teach the same, however it is in Marathi and I havent learnt it. Thats the sad part. So I was just observing students, their reactions to teacher's questions, explanations etc. Then met few students outside the class rooms. Interacted with them about their background, their ambitions etc. It was really wonderful experience to know about them. It was already 12:00 noon by that time. I was offered the lunch that was prepared in the school. It was very tasty. After completing the lunch, went to Office room, completed the activities that I was assigned and left the school for Mumbai.
          I reached the Valvanda bustop by 12:45 pm. I was waiting for the Thane bus. Unfortunately after 1 hour waiting I got a bus which was to Vasai. I got the last seat in the bus. Now my jumping has been increased, My head was almost touching the bus roof. So I decided to get down at Wada and from there take another bus to Thane. I reached Wada around 3:00 pm. I was lucky again. I got a Thane bus immediately at Wada and got a seat at the centre of the bus. Now I felt like there are more ups and downs and turnings on the road. May be due to the effect of previous bus. Anyways I reached Thane safely by 4:30 pm. Overall it was a very good trip and memorable day to me.

2 comments: